Monday, September 16, 2013

Vienna

Welcome to Vienna! Well, not really, but no pasa nada (no worries), we'll get there. In the meantime, here's some inspiration.
Photo: Daily Mail
(Just make sure you listen to the song while you read the lyrics. It has twice the impact. I pinky promise.)


Billy Joel- Vienna

   

Slow down, you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
but then if you're so smart
tell me why are you still so afraid, mmm

Where's the fire,
what's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out
You've got so much to do
and only so many hours in a day

But you know that when the truth is told
that you can get what you want
or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

Slow down, you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be before your time
Although it's so romantic on the borderline
tonight, tonight

Too bad but it's the life you lead
You're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong
you know you can't always see when you're right

You've got your patch on
you've got your pride
but don't you know that only fools are satisfied

Dream on but don't imagine they'll all come true
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

Slow down, you crazy child
and take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
It's alright
you can afford to lose a day or two, ooh
When will you realize
Vienna waits for you

And you know that when the truth is told
that you can get what you want
or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through
Why don't you realize
Vienna waits for you
When will you realize 
Vienna waits for you

I'm taking it back with this one, all the way to good ole '77. I heard Billy Joel's "Vienna" for the first time on the movie 13 Going on 30. I was probably about 13 or 14 when it initially caught my attention, which still surprises me all the time. I guess I've always had a love for older music (hint: this won't be my only oldie). I instantly fell in love with this song for the melody, but I've come to appreciate it more for the lyrics. When I was a teenager, I don't even think I could see half the picture this song paints. I remember always thinking, "What's so special about Vienna?" That was over seven years ago, and up until about a month ago, that same question went unanswered. I remember searching 'Vienna' on Google Images, waiting for some extravagant pictures to pop up that dang near resembled another planet. That didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, the pictures I found were beautiful, but they weren't unlike anything other gorgeous pictures of dream destinations that I had seen. I was convinced there had to be some other definition for Vienna that would make everything crystal clear. Turns out that no, Vienna really just is Vienna. But the meaning behind it is now claro (clear) as a crystal.

After less than one or two minutes of research,  I found out that Vienna was actually a metaphor for the rest of your life. Ah, the final piece to the puzzle. But wait, why? Luckily, Wilkepedia had the exact quote from Billy Joel's interview back in 2008 with the New York Times, which had the backstory behind the metaphor. You should check it out if you're interested, but I'm not going to post the long quote if you don't care to know as bad as I did.

"Slow down, you crazy child." The first five words probably make up the most useful advice I could ever use right now. As far as I'm concerned, this song was written for my 21-year old self- for the unrealistic perfectionist in me, for the constant anticipator in me; for my fear of what's unknown,  losing all control, being unwanted; my insecurity as a woman, my doubt in my academic and professional ability.... and worst of all, my worry that my life isn't going to turn out how I planned, that is isn't turning out how I planned. This song is for all of these things, and speaks to each of one of them.


This song really brings me back to reality. It makes me realize that I'm trying more than anything to be perfect. You know how they say people's perceptions, opinions and judgements of you can really mess you up? Well, my own perception of myself is what's destroying me. I hear great things about me all the time from people- whether it's my family, best friends, associates, and strangers -yet it's still so hard for me to see what they see: the bubbly, hard-working girl with endless potential and so much under her belt; the girl that is going to make something of herself, no matter what it may be; the girl that will undoubtedly succeed. Compliments and support are gifts from other people, but do they lose worth if you don't truly believe them yourself? There are times when I don't even know who that girl is. Sometimes I pray so hard that I can see myself through other people's eyes just so my heart and mind can take a rest and get what's best for them. I thinks human nature to compete with the people around you and I often find myself wandering just to keep up. But everyone has a different path and I'm going down all the ones that just weren't made for me. But my biggest battle isn't against others. It's a lot easier for me to accept the fact that there's only one of me, and only I will experience the life I've lived exactly how I have and will in the future. I'm at war with perfection and no one knows what that path looks like. I find myself trying very often, and I'm losing.


Vienna is that one little savior that reminds me to slow down and let life happen; to accept my best as good enough and even more importantly... to be okay with it. And maybe, just maybe the plan I had for my life isn't the best one. I listen to this song every day, hoping it will give me peace of mind, even if it's just for the three minutes and thirty-four seconds that it lasts. Maybe one day it'll last forever. I've waited and anticipated Vienna enough to last me a lifetime. It's time to let Vienna do all the waiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment