Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Light.

Photo: s2smagazine.com


IN HONOR OF SCANDAL THURSDAY...

Let me start off by saying, if you don't watch Scandal... I'm sorry. It's one of the best shows airing on television right now. And I only call it "one of the best" to be fair. I don't watch every show on television so I am forced to leave some breathing room. For those of you who do watch Scandal, you should recognize the song below.

The Album Leaf- The Light


This is song is one in a million. Okay, maybe just one in 1,368. It's the only song on my iPOD that has no words whatsoever. The reason for that is simple: I love music, but I love lyrics way more. But for me, this song doesn't even need it. Scandal is centered around a love triangle, in which the President of the United States, Fitz Grant, is completely in love with Washington D.C.'s most prominent fixer, Olivia Pope, played by the lovely Kerry Washington. As you can probably guess, the third member of the triangle is the First Lady herself, Mellie Grant. I know, so Scandalous right?

The thing with Fitz and Liv is that their love is unlike any other that I've seen on any television show. They are madly in love and there is absolutely no doubting that. You can feel it through the screen; through their facial expressions, through their dialouge, through their body language. It's the type of love where you love the other person more than yourself, and everything you say and do is centered around them. John Mayer type of love is what I like to call it. "The Light" is actually played during very passionate and/or emotional scenes between Fitz and Liv, which happens pretty frequently throughout the series. And if you watch the show, you can't help but feel a huge flow of emotion sneak up on you as soon as it starts playing. Well, that is if you are as emotionally invested in the show and their love as I am. The one thing I hate about their relationship is that it leaves me encouraging an affair, rooting for them to take over the world side by side. In reality, I obviously wouldn't be doing that. But I'll make an exception for Scandal and it's completely fictional world that I sometimes believe I live in. 

The crazy thing about this song is the association I instantly find. Not one word is spoken, sang, or rapped in this song, yet I literally find myself crying and freaking out every time it comes on, simply because I connect it with Scandal. If a writer for a television show can do that... that's nothing less than an extremely successful one. I mean the point in it all is to grab you in, hold your attention, and truly make you feel what they are trying to display. Shonda Rhimes does that every time.

"The Light" is that one little savior that reminds me that music is just as important as the lyrics. And music is often there to let people know how to feel about the lyrics. But if you can feel that emotion, and I mean truly feel it without lyrics. That's..... everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment