Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The "Miracle" Drug.

I'm switching it up for this post. Like, a lot. I'm not going to cover a song at all. I'm going to let you hear my very first investigative piece. You've probably never even heard of what my story is centered on, so don't feel bad. I didn't either, until I watched an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (which is one of my favorite shows on television). I'm surprised I hadn't seen the episode sooner considering I've seen every other episode at least twice. My television is always set on USA. And that's a solid, fact. B.D. Wong, who plays Dr. Huang in the show, mentioned a drug called ibogaine, which is currently illegal in the United States, and it's potential to treat and nearly cure addiction. It immediately sparked my interest. I'm not sure if it was the journalist in me or the fact that I was genuinely interested in this drug that seemed to be miraculous as to what it could do. I googled it as soon as the episode was over and found out ibogaine was in fact very real. And it was being used to treat addiction all across the world. And just like that, I had an idea for my first story. I was probably most proud of this story's research aspect because I had to do a lot of digging and really learn a large amount from the internet and my sources in order to properly understand this drug and its status in the U.S. and around the world. I hope this story opens your eyes just a little. There really are two sides two every story, each side with their own reasoning behind it. Always choose what you believe in and believe is right. You can't ever go wrong with that. Ever.

The "Miracle" Drug



If you're interested in what I do:

No comments:

Post a Comment